The search to identify 500 torchbearers without stories has hit the 50% mark, thanks to dozens of people scouring the list of names to find records elsewhere.
Among the names are well-known celebrities, sportspeople and individuals who have contributed to their community. But there are also IOC members, journalists and executives. Those confirmed include:
- Roy Martins, the MD of Credit Suisse, who carried the torch through Sutton.
- Serigne Mboup, CEO of Comptoire Commercial Bara Mboup in Senegal. Nominated by Samsung, he carried the torch in Astwood Bank, Worcestershire.
- Thomas Gerwers, Editor in Chief of ProfiFoto, who carried the torch through Bromley
- Jorge Goncalves, the President of the European Imaging and Sound Association, who also carried the torch through Bromley
- Eleanor Mitrovich, Branded Channels General Manager for South African telecomms company MTN, who carried through Wolverhampton.
- Joan Freeman, Founder and CEO of Pieta House, selected to participate in the relay by Electric Ireland, Official Energy Partner to Team Ireland. She carried the torch through Dublin.
- Paul Eccleston, CEO of technology distributors SDG (no longer listed on the site).
- Hubert Wolf, CEO of Blue Chip Computer in Germany, who carried the torch in Tunbridge Wells.
- Mark Adelstone, the MD of Beaverbrooks, who carried the torch through Liverpool.
You can see the latest version of the spreadsheet of mystery torchbearers here – including ‘TBC’ leads that still need following up.
Thanks to those who have looked through the list so far, including Lucy Pearce, @gooneruk, Rebecca Ratcliffe, Carol Miers, Dan Stowell, Ellen Pearson, Lucy Riordan, Niall O’Shea, @andreasL, Phillip Chamberlain, Nick C, Pall Hilmarsson, Sophie Murray-Morris, R Langley, Sam Shepherd and Tom Peck.
Another 40 new torchbearers have been added to the official site without stories since that list was generated – you can find them here.